Thursday, March 13, 2008

Belated Installation of AMI on my Audi A6 Avant - Preparation

I installed the AMI kit on my Audi A6 Avant (US Spec 2006 MY) this afternoon.

I referred to a users post on Navplus.us and prepared to do what he had done (see: Thread on Audi Forums.US (Former Navplus forum link is dead)) However I quickly realized that I could adapt the install to ONLY support AMI and not keep the CD changer - thus making the install a piece of cake!

The parts I needed were:
4F0 051 592 A - AMI Retrofit Kit Cable
(Includes a Power cable adapter that takes the existing CD Changer power connector and splits it to the CD Changer and to the AMI module)
(Also includes the fiber cable to split off from one of the CD Changer splices to the new cable that connects to AMI then reconnects the split splice on the changer)

4EO 057 786 B - AMI Module
(Includes the housing and slider tray to hold the IPOD, Ironically shows up in Audi's system as a CD Changer, IT IS NOT a CD Changer!)

4F0 051 510 A - iPod Connector Cable
(can use other cables also, see Audi A6 Accessories)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, tried your instructions and it works great!

Only one remark that saves additional money is that you do not need any of the retrofit cables!
Tried in my A6 4F and the original power cable and optical cable fits, so no need for any cable if you just swap.

Anonymous said...

Where do you get these parts? I can't seem to find them?

Ray said...

I'd like to keep the changer as well so I'll be looking for that dashboard holder thing as well. Will the three parts that are listed enable me to do that?

Also, the navplus link is dead. I've found the relocated site but can't seem to find the right topic... Any help?

NP said...

I fixed the links the best I could to what should be the original referring post on now Audi Forums.us

Also did clean up some other links!

You can keep the changer + the AMI together you just need to pull out the plastic piece that is next to the changer and put the AMI there. You can either modify the plastic piece you pull out with a Dremel tool or look at your Audi dealer for the proper plastic piece